By: Mike Rice
The first presentation was from the green energy co-op. They are focused on rain – water gardens in the Glen Cairn area.
The second presentation focused on Urban regeneration from planning service. Two basic questions were asked; i) what is it? and ii) How do we keep in touch?
What is urban regeneration?
· Research learning from the British experience
· Rebirth or renewal of urban areas and settlements
· Mission managing change, conversation, leverage, connection, communication
How can we manage change?
· Urban regeneration
· Urban main street
· Creation and implementation
How to preserve heritage?
· Heritage stewardship
· Downtown planning
· Economic benefits
How we connect?
· Build relationships
· Liaise with neighborhoods and business areas
· Liaise with development proponents
How we fit into the process?
· City lands and dispositions
· Secondary plans
· Heritage conservation districts
Planning and Development Process
· Internal review
· Issue resolution
· Normal school
· Blackfriars / Petersville Conservation District
· Wortley Villiage Old South
· Old Victoria lands
· Upcoming, St George – Grovesnor, McCormicks, Soho, Music and Entertainment District, Lorne Ave
· Request for community improvement plans for Hamilton Rd., and Lambeth
Speaking the Same Language
· Community ßà neighborhood, effective communication
· City building terms
· Community – neighborhood – form – intensity – use – fit
· The above are good examples of terms that are misunderstood and used. If you are unsure, contact staff at 519 – 661 – 4980, or visit City Hall planning.
Improvements of Public Engagements
· Communicate in plain language
· Make public notices more effective
· Improve format and expand media options
· Intended outcome of improving public engagement is to make the process more accessible
Six Methods of Improvement;
1) Improve planning and environmental reports
2. a) Expand notification radius of 120m by regular mail. Ontario regulations state 120m radius is appropriate. Notification is to be done by regular mail as shown on the last assessment rolls. If the radius is increased by 25m, then the number of households increases 31 to 36.
· Legal concerns; where do you draw the line? Expand the radius when there are extraordinary circumstances.
2. b) Expand the regular mail to include tenants. The owner / landlord is deemed to be the person shown on the last revised assessment
3) Improvement to land use change signage
· Generic, no information website
· Best practices
· Use of illustrations
· Summary of proposal
· Specific code of information
· QR code
4) Improve web presence
· Web to consolidate application information
· URL identification linked to public notice as well as signage
· Destination of QR code
· Ability to react quickly and maintain current information
5) Plain language for public notices
· Reduce jargon and simplify technical language
· Provincial regulations are the barrier
6) New community engagement protocols
· Non-statutory meetings designated as community information meetings are common
· Hosted by community groups and or business improvement associations
· Allows for the ability to hear the concerns of community and provide a venue for clarification and share factual information
· Soho; list of events
· Westminster; sparks grant. Get the word out about Nature London
· St. George / Grovesnor
· Pending; heritage designation
· Woodfield; new high rise at Wolfe and Wellington
· Lambeth; AGM on May 5, 2015, concerns about a southwest recreation centre.